Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Deeper Meaning behind Cat's Cradle


Brianna Halasa
Mr. O’Brien
English IV
7 March 2013
The Deeper Meaning behind Cat’s Cradle
            At a young age, while my parents were teaching me proper etiquette, I learned to never mention politics or religion at the dinner table, for obvious reasons I now know. These two topics provide much controversy and are likely to produce high tensions. Now that I am a senior in high school and have taken more science classes than I can count on my hands, I recognize that this subject matter should also never be mixed with the two aforementioned ideas. Kurt Vonnegut mixes these three subject matters together in his conglomeration of a story called Cat’s Cradle, where he challenges their credibility. 
In his story, Vonnegut first brings to question the government and the way in which it is overseen, in the book, but also in reality. Upon entering San Lorenzo, Frank Hoenikker throws his newly acquired presidential position at John, the writer who has no political background whatsoever, in hopes that Frank can still “receive honors and creature comforts while escaping human responsibilities…by going down a spiritual oubliette” (Vonngeut 148). After accepting the job, primarily by bribe, John thinks about all the changes he plans to make for his country, half of which the outcomes seem questionable, and he acts very possessive with his country by saying, “I arrived at the uppermost battlement of my castle, and I looked out at my guests, my servants, my cliff, and my lukewarm sea,” (italics mine) making him all too possessive and dictator-like (Vonnegut 150). In this way, Vonnegut mocks the methods in which governments are assembled and the politicians that rule it.
            Although Vonnegut’s writing style does not appeal to me, I overlooked his outlandish plot line and focused on the deeper meaning behind his words. He questions the fundamentals of religion, politics, and science, as any analytical person should do. His characters, on the other hand, seem to be mindless in their choosing to be Bokonist, especially after Bokonon, the leader of the religion, tells them everything he preaches is fuma or lies. In the beginning of the novel, Vonnegut explains that Bokonon invents a new religion for the country, because he feels that the truth would be displeasing for his people, so he tells them lies, and the citizens embrace these lies without question. Vonnegut seemingly incorporates his views of religion into this book, expressing its flaws and the so-called truths religions proclaim. He then incorporates science into the book by adding in ice-nine, an isotope that can freeze almost anything. As the castle on San Lorenzo falls into the sea, bringing Papa’s ice-nine encrusted corpse with the stones, the entire world freezes over. This incident is then taken from a religious standpoint, as Bokonon tells his followers “that God was surely trying to kill them, possibly because He was through with them, and that they should have the good manners to die,” causing the survivors to commit a mass suicide (Vonnegut 179). Through these series of events, Vonnegut mixes religion with science, leaving only “The Swiss Family Robinson” on Earth, unable to reproduce, thus leading to the end of the world.
            Vonnegut possesses the critical thinking that should pulse through the minds of all human beings. It seems that today, people are all too quick to believe what they hear. For example, my parents have radically different beliefs and ways of thinking, my dad, a scientist, holds religious beliefs that change with the weather, while my mom keeps her Christian identity close to her. Throughout the years, I have listened to what each one says, letting their views swirl around in my head and finally digest, producing my own personal beliefs. It is this way of thinking that enabled me to establish who I am as a person. I am thankful for being able to look at things from different perspectives and question ideas. That is why, as I read Cat’s Cradle, I could not seem to grasp why the people, and the country as a whole, accepted a religion without question. However, as I looked further into Vonnegut’s story line and investigated the deeper meaning, I realized that he was challenging the reader to think of the bigger picture: religion, science, and politics in an investigative light.  

2 comments:

  1. I like how, though you admit that you are not a fan of what Vonnegut's writing style is, you were able to appreciate the substance behind the words. I also do agree that we should definitely look at things from a different perspective. Though I would be interested to know what you saw when you stepped back and considered the "big picture"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rob. Just because you don't like the story doesn't mean you have to write off the significance in what Vonnegut is saying. I like how were able to listen to both of your parents and establish your own kind of beliefs - you didn't just get sucked into one ideology.

    ReplyDelete