Thursday, February 7, 2013

Joe's Playlist



“Black Hole Sun” - Soundgarden - I think this song could serve as the “theme song” of the movie but not because of the lyrics. The leslie effect on the clean guitar, the intervals the singer jumps between in the melody, the legato lines in the guitar solo, and the droning chorus all help create a very dark atmosphere that is perfect for the movie.

"Rooster" - Alice in Chains - This song was written by the guitar player, Jerry Cantrell, and is about his father who served in Vietnam. Even though this is about the Vietnam War, I think the themes translate well to the bombing of Dresden. It depicts the horrors and injustice of war.

"Polly" - Nirvana - I don’t think many people will agree with me here but....I think this song would fit in the scene where Billy is playing with his young dog. To me, this scene is eerie because Billy is playing with something so innocent in the middle of a predominantly dark film. This eeriness is reflected in this song where Cobain is singing about something that is seemingly innocent while playing a slightly disturbing and haunting chord progression.

"Dazed and Confused" - Led Zeppelin - The transitions between different parts of this song remind me of being lost and jumping through time.

"Stuck in A Moment" - U2 - Truthfully, I kind of hate this song. However, the title seems too perfect for the movie to leave it out. Billy keeps finding himself stuck in these unpleasant moments (Dresden, Battle of the Bulge, plane crash, etc.) and he can’t get away from them.

"1983...A Merman I Should Turn to Be" - Jimi Hendrix - I believe this song is about going forward in time to 1983 and many of the problems in the world are still the same (in the case of the movie, there is still a war). I could see this song being played when Billy’s son enters his bedroom after returning from Vietnam.

"Born Under a Bad Sign" - Albert King (though the Jimi Hendrix version, even though it has no lyrics, is just as good and still conveys the message with equal merit) - This song is very fitting for Billy Pilgrim. It seems that he is what could have been a normal guy but had the misfortune of becoming unstuck in time.

"Man In the Box" - Alice in Chains - in a way, Billy Pilgrim is “boxed in his own life” and “buried in his shit” - he only jumps around in time to moments that are highlights in his life and does not get to witness the lives of others.

3 comments:

  1. I think you chose the best songs linking to Slaughterhouse 5. I've listened to Led Zeplin and u2 before, but after your summary and seeing the lyrics I quickly link it to the book now. for the albert king one, in my opinion it is very differnt from the rest of the songs. Like it is the odd song out, maybe because it has no lyrics, but I didn't get the impression that it fit Billy Pilgrim, but I really enjoyed the rest of your songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Haley. Your songs relate deeper than you many others. Not only that, but you also have a nice back drop to the facts about each song, and how each songs story relates. The selection dives through the surface of the book and song, and goes far into music theory and you have connected beats, melodies, and even instruments to the horrible movie. Good job Joe. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you made a musical connection rather than lyrical. I found your ability to include a personal interest (guitar) into an academic assignment very moving and powerful. The video you played in class I also found to be interesting. Great job Joe!

    ReplyDelete