Thursday, February 7, 2013

SFive Playlist- Rob Stephens



As a firm believer that Billy Pilgrim was, indeed, “out of his f**king skull”, I found that my experience with reading this book was one in which every thought was tainted by that thought. As such, the song that I find most indicative of Billy Pilgrim is this one:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/crazy-lyrics-gnarls-barkley.html



In addition to Billy, I believe that other people in the novel are mentally affected. More so than any other characters, Roland Weary and Lazzaro were two characters that just struck me as vile and totally unloveable. No song describes them quite as well as the song “Down with the Sickness” by the band Disturbed
http://www.metrolyrics.com/down-with-the-sickness-clean-lyrics-disturbed.html

Roland Weary did eventually get his “just desserts” though, as he succumbed to death by Gangrene poisoning. But, due to the fact that he is (again) an abhorrent human being, little sympathy would be felt by the common reader. This seems to parallel very greatly the inferred storyline of the music video for Shinedown’s song “Bully,” in which the bully falls (both physically and symbolically) at the end of it.
http://www.metrolyrics.com/bully-lyrics-shinedown.html

One thing that the book took much time to paint the imagery of was sex. At the moments in which Billy was being intimate with a woman, Vonnegut seldom seemed to be satisfied with using a simple euphemism. On the contrary, he always appealed to at least two of the senses so that the reader could imagine the scene in greater detail. The song that comes to mind in lieu of all of the sex in the book was “Pony” by Ginuwine
http://www.metrolyrics.com/pony-lyrics-ginuwine.html

One of the scenes that made the longest lasting impression on me was the scene in which Billy was being bullied in Dresden, yet he was “traveling” to the future, causing him to smile like an idiot regardless of the abuse. It brings to mind the song “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina & The Waves
http://www.metrolyrics.com/walking-on-sunshine-lyrics-katrina-the-waves.html

Throughout the course of the book, the Tralfamadorians teach and emphasize to Billy that time is relative and things are simply a cycle rather than a straight line with a beginning, middle, and end. As a direct result, Billy begins to openly disregard death as a little more than a temporary stasis in the normal timeline of humans. It causes me to think of “Time Is On My Side” by The Rolling Stones
http://www.metrolyrics.com/time-is-on-my-side-lyrics-rolling-stones.html

The book can best be summarized as Billy’s own menagerie of random jumps in time. This seemingly causes him to be distant at best from all of the people with whom he would otherwise be enjoying the present. I think that the song “Daylight” by Maroon 5 describes it best
http://www.metrolyrics.com/daylight-lyrics-maroon-5.html

2 comments:

  1. I would like to first say I appreciated the diversity in the genre of music. You were very spread out in what you included. Additionally I am a fan of the fact you related the music video plot line to the plot line in the story (with 'Bully'). Finally I would like to commend that you included songs that were straight forward in relation with the book ('Crazy', 'Bully', 'Down with the Sickness'), but also the songs that are more lighthearted and funnier ('Waking on Sunshine', 'Time is on my Side'). Snaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matt - the mix between funny songs and serious songs was cool. I really liked how you used "TIme is On My Side." I love that song and would never have thought to use it...but it works really well in the context you put it in.

    ReplyDelete