Thursday, February 7, 2013

Songs Reminding Me of Slaughterhouse Five

"So It Goes" - Nick Lowe
I chose this song initially because of its title, ‘So It Goes’, as this phrase is reiterated many times throughout Slaughterhouse Five. However, when I looked deeper into the lyrics, this song is about pushing through the difficulties of life and accepting the decisions of policymakers and the challenges of everyday life.



"Houdini" - Foster the People
In the chorus of this song, it repeats “sometimes I want to disappear” and I feel like Billy Pilgrim often felt like this during his time at war. I think it was also difficult for him to accept his constant mind traveling to sometimes harsh memories which could be another reason why he may want to disappear. 



"Spun" - Flipsyde
Although the overall literal meaning of this song is kind of vulgar, there are couplets of the lyrics that could really apply to Billy Pilgrim’s life in the army. For example, one lyric states “Tryin' to fight to survive Tryin' to fight for our lives. See I'm only tryin' to live I don't wanna say goodbye.” I feel that Billy definitely fought for his life and was never going to give up at war because he obviously wanted to survive the war. Also, another lyric, “Maybe if I close my eyes maybe then I'll finally see. Maybe then I'll finally die maybe I'll be finally free,” could resemble Billy’s feelings about his always wandering mind and how he may wish to escape that talent of his.


"This Fire" - Franz Ferdinand
This song distantly relates to Slaughterhouse Five in that the title, This Fire, could represent the fire in the city of Dresden. Also, the lyrics describe how this person is so infatuated with another person, I thought this could describe Billy’s interest in Montana. 


"Life is Beautiful" - Vega4
I chose this song because I feel it describes Billy’s outlook on life in general. “Life is beautiful, but it’s complicated, and we barely make it” is the dominating lyric in the chorus and I think Billy definitely believes that life is great, but there are issues that come up and he must deal with each issue at hand. 


"100%" - Mariah Carey
I chose this song because of the overwhelming lyric, “Everything that I got I'm a give it
100 Percent and I ain't stopping til I reach the finish,” and how I thought Billy could be thinking this as he was in the war. Mariah iterates how she, “won’t let anything discourage or dissuade” her and I think even though it was tough for Billy at war, he persevered through the war and made it through giving his 100%. 


"Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor
In this song, it states, “just a man and his will to survive...you must fight just to keep them alive,” and I, again, think this is a song about perseverance and determination. These are two qualities Billy possessed through the duration of the war and his life in order to remain a positive mental attitude.

3 comments:

  1. I like your choice of music that appropriately represents the book. The featured song So It Goes by Nick Lowe was a great pick since that is the repeating phrase that Vonnugut loves to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the playlist, it different i like how you have tied people like mariah carey to a war film ! also i had to comment as the eye of the tiger is on the playlist. i really like how you used the sense of determination to represents billy;s drive throughout the book! The other songs capture the scenes very well and gve a good impression. Great playlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. The playlist focused on the aspect of dark humor within the novel, with the emphasis on the term "so it goes" n the featured song. Also, the playlist attempted to highlight on the human nature part of the novel, which is another central idea. Furthermore, the relationship between the characters was embodied in the playlist.

    ReplyDelete